How to determine whether marriage is legitimate or not

I recently found my live-in partner’s marriage certificate dated 10years ago and registered in his home country, along with other supporting documents like personal statement from both parties, letter from he embassy etc. In our 4yr long relationship, he had not mentioned this to me even once until I found it and he says it’s fake. How do I deal with this and determine if his marriage is still legal?

Answers (3)

211 votes

We have to investigate for the legality of the marrige. Even if you both are living together from last many years then whats the stage of your living?
Is last marrige is void or not or u soleminzed the marriage??

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

122 votes

No that's not fake. You can file a case under 420ipc for the same. Might be he hidden more information. First of all you have to check the dignity of your marriage. Might be your marriage is void if that's docs are true. If yes you have to file a case against him for illegal marriage

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience
55 votes

Contact the embassy with detail's further Search Net in the concerned country's web site Finally visiting the country of your partner and find out lastly file case inder domestic Violence Act in India and register a criminal Complaint.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

In 2016 a person need help, basically they need some money, so I decided to gave him Rs. 130,000 . without any proof and evidence. I gave him money bu…

Read More

Hi My name is sachin and i want to do court marriage without sending any notice to parents how can i do this help me regards…

Read More

hi sir/mam, my name is pandiyammal(F)....i have one elder sister,younger brother and my mom,father. All were dead except me....…

Read More

HI, My wife is a Lawyer and she got maintenance awarded 20000 per month because I am working in Private company and she sent notice to company and go …

Read More