Can I marry a woman who is already married and has a child

I love a marry women her 3year old a girl without divoce can i marry her and i dont want her baby as a custedy

Answers (4)

189 votes

No you can't get married her. It is an offence under sec 494 of Indian penal code to get married while one has got a spouse living. You can't get married her without her divorce. Live in relationship is also be treated as an act of adultery. You can be punish for such act if her husband lodge a complaint against you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

128 votes

If you are governed by Hindu Law, in that case you cannot marry a woman who is already married.. If both of you desire to marry each other, in that event the woman has to take divorce from her present husband.. Thereafter there will be no impediment in your marriage.. Thanks..

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
109 votes


No, you cannot marry a married woman without her first divorcing her husband. The law is very strict in this matter. Your marriage to her will not be a legal marriage. So, for you to be legally married to her, she needs to first divorce her husband.

135 votes

Without obtaining a decree for divorce, it is not permissible to marry a married women unless law permits under certain conditions which depends upon different family laws of the country, later the custody question will arise.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."