Can a married man re marry without divorce with the first wife

father-in-law had married two women. can i file a case against his illegal relationships? how to proceed? what is the punishment to him if case filed?

Answers (4)

350 votes

Hi according to your query he can not marry another woman untill he gives divorce to the first wife, if he did then he will be liable to punished under adultery under section 497 of Indian penal code. and he will be jailed for 5years, for further clarifications you can contact us at any time.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

108 votes

Dear Sir/ Madam,
As per Hindu Law one person should not marry two woman. He can marry after got the divorce from1st wife.
Without divorce to 1st wife, 2nd marriage void. The 1st wife can file complaint agaist his husband.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
65 votes

Under Hindu marriage act second marriage is can file a case against your father in law on his second marriage but it should be proved.if it is proved under sec.494 bigamy he will be punished.

280 votes

No you cannot file a case against your father in law. Either of those wives of your father in law can file a case against him a case under section 494 IPC ( Bigamy) can be filed and the punishment of imprisonment of 7 years and file will be imposed on him.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."