Legal validity of audio recording in mobile phone as evidence

Whether audio recording in mobile phones can be treated as a valid document in the eyes of law and can be lodged any case on that basis? Pls. Clarify.

Answers (2)

188 votes

As per the IT Act, 2000, electronic record means data, record or data generated, image or sound stored, received or sent in an electronic form or micro film or computer generated micro fiche.
Therefore, an audio recording comes under the ambit of electronic record and is admissible.
Laws regarding electronic record and their admissibility are properly laid down in Section 65B of the Evidence Act. Any evidence for its admissibility before the Court of Law needs to go through the parameters of the Section 65B of the Evidence Act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

210 votes

Yes it can be lodged but subject to seizure of the object from which it has been recorded and court will decide the same of its validity. You can lodge FIR before the police station with guidance of lawyers.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
7 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
16 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles