Date of birth differs in documents what is the procedure to change

Difference in Date of Birth My son is currently studying in Class 9 ICSE.His date of birth as per school record is 30/04/2001 whereas actual right date of birth is 30/08/2001 which is there in birth certificate,passport,aadhar. As you are aware ICSE exam registration happens in beginning of class 9 so it has been registered with above incorrect date. Please advise best solution to correct this discrepancy and avoid future problems.

Answers (2)

196 votes

To make correction of date of birth you will have to file a suit for declaration and injunction by following sec.80 CPC.
Before filing the suit you will have to issue legal notice to the your State Govt/. represented by the Deputy Commissioner of your Dist., and DDPI.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

270 votes

A birth certificate is one of the most important documents that a person will have. It proves an individual’s age, citizenship and identity, and is typically required to obtain a driver’s license, passport and many other legal reasons. As such, making certain a certificate is correct is critical. There are many reasons why a person may need to correct or request a change to their birth certificate. The exact process will vary from state to state, but the following information can help you decide the best way to get started—depending on your exact reason for seeking these changes.

Changing a Name for a Child Under One Year Old – This is a very common reason to make a change on a birth certificate. Each state has different requirements, but parents may be allowed time (up to 12 months in some states) to make changes to a child’s birth certificate without requiring a court order. In most cases, you can bring the original birth certificate to the vital record office in the city or county where your child was born (generally a department of health or county clerk’s office) and fill out a few forms to make this change. This is often done if the parents have second thoughts on naming the child or they find there is an issue with the parentage.

Changing a Name for Older Child or Adult – As this would typically coincide with a legal change of name, this issue may require a court order. This is different than changing a name due to marriage, which does not affect the individual’s birth certificate. If a person decides to change his or her name for another reason, it will require providing a few important documents and giving the reason behind the change.

Error Correction – Sometimes mistakes happen. If the child’s birthplace, sex, or other information is not correct on the birth certificate, it will be necessary to get changes made to reflect the correct information. This will often require some form of proof in order to validate the change. Each case will be a bit different and the department of vital records responsible for keeping and issuing the birth certificate can help work through this situation.

Spelling – Quite often, spelling issues can be corrected without a court order. The parent (or person requesting, if over 18) will simply have to provide information about the error and possibly offer supporting documents as validation of the correct spelling.

Changing Parentage or Surname – Like changing a name, this is considered a legal change and will usually require a court order. The parent, or the requestor, will need to provide proof that the original information is not correct. In many cases it may be easiest to work with a lawyer who is skilled in these matters.

If you have any further questions about making changes to a birth certificate, contact the office of vital records responsible for issuing the birth certificate – which is located in the city, county or state where the birth occurred and was recorded. This office can provide you with up-to-date information and help you get started with the process.

u can get a direction from court to correct the date of birth.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles