Cancellation of registration certificate of marriage at Arya samaj

Dear Sir/Madam, I got married to  on 4 April 2016 at Arya Samaj Mandir Trust and registered the same marriage on 13 April 2016 and received the marriage certificate then attested with MEA Delhi. With this marriage certificate I applied for Italy Visa for my wife which is now rejected by the Italian Embassy of Delhi and the reason they gave that the place where our marriage was solemnized i.e. Arya Samaj Mandir Trust, is not a temple but a trust duly it is invalid and according to that my marriage certificate is also invalid. Is there any provision that I can cancel the registration of my marriage certificate without divorce, so we can marry again and register that marriage as per the requirement of Italian Embassy? Or what can we do, any suggestion? Thank you

Answers (3)

59 votes

A simple registration of your marriage with the Registrar of whose jurisdiction you have been married is sufficient. You need to apply along with your parents/witnesses before the registrar where the marriage was solemnised. Generally, you are required to apply within one month from the date of marriage but there is a provision to apply within 5 years.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

301 votes

The marriage can be registered at the Local Family Court by producing evidence of the marriage. You can apply for marriage registration and the certificate will be valid for the purpose of the visa. The certificate per say cannot be cancelled or annulled. Should you wish to remarry then you need to go through the Divorce procedure.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience
297 votes

Dear Sir/Ma'am,
From the facts elucidated by you, it seems you have not got a marriage certificate issued by the government of Delhi as envisaged in the Hindu Marriage Act, 1956. You may have got the Arya Samaj certificate attested by MEA, which is not equivalent to a valid marriage certificate. But, as the present facts seem to incomplete/vague, I am not adequately equipped to answer all your queries at the present moment. You may contact for further details/clarifications.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles