What to do if wife is abroad and I want divorce

My wife is settled outside India for the past 2 years and her parents are not responding at all to phones or letters. All I know is that she is settled outside India by looking at her Linkedin status. What are the steps to convince the court that she is working and settled outside? All I have is her current office address (Denmark) and could manage to get her official email address and linkedin site showing her status to be working outside India. I couldn't get employee verification letter from her company's HR as that is outside the company policy. Under these circumstances, how can the court/judge be convinced about her current living status and to deliver the petition to her ? Is email address considered a valid channel by court? What other options? This is for christian divorce.

Answers (2)

Sir, Under the said circumstances, you are entitled for Divorce under Sec 10 (ix) of the Divorce Act. which read as follows:
10 Grounds for dissolution of marriage. —
(1) Any marriage solemnized, whether before or after the commencement* of the Indian Divorce (Amendment) Act, 2001, may, on a petition presented to the District Court either by the husband or the wife, be dissolved on the ground that since the solemnization of the marriage, the respondent
(ix) has deserted the petitioner for at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition; or
(x) has treated the petitioner with such cruelty as to cause a reasonable apprehension in the mind of the petitioner that it would be harmful or injurious for the petitioner to live with the respondent.

Yes email address and whats app messages are considered a valid channel by court for communication.
We can file a divorce petition under section 10 of the divorce Act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Procedure will be adopted same irrespective of religion and caste for in proceeding, you can file divorce petition by showing her present address and request to court issue notice through mail or embassy. It will confirm her address and really she is working and residing abroad in shown address then she will receive or refuse to receive notice, then court will pass suitable order

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

I had married with a lady but before the marriage I told her and her family that I don't want to marry with her but het family insist me then I re…

Read More

Hello sir, M from maharashtra.i friend got married with her father's sistet's son b4 2yrs ago.actually the boy make her emotional and take her…

Read More

This question is on my brother behalf. My brother in jail for past 21 months for 420 case as undertrail My brother wife left home by saying lie that h…

Read More


Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue