Want to marry girl who has filed divorce but case is still pending

I want to marry a girl whoes divorce and dowry case is still running in the court her ex husband's mother is not letting her son to give divorce what if we get married before taking legal divorce from her husband what will be the consequence for her and for me? What if we leave the county will tgose actions will be liable or what if we change the citizenship what will be consequences in that case please help

Answers (3)

192 votes

A lady who has married once cannot remarry as per Hindu Marriage Act before taking divorce from her existing husband. If she marries you before taking divorce from her existing husband, it will amount to bigamy and will not be considered lawful. If the husband’s name is endorsed on the passport she will not be able to marry you even if you leave India. It is advisable that she talks to her husband and they file mutual divorce.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

83 votes

In India you can't marry a girl who is still a legally wedded wife of another man unless she get a divorce from him. As it will be treated as bigamy u/s 494 ipc punishment will be upto 7 years also Offence by man Offence by woman
Man can be prosecuted for bigamy. Woman can be prosecuted for bigamy.
Man (married + unmarried) + sexual intercourse with wife of another= Man can be prosecuted for adultery Woman (married + unmarried) + sexual intercourse with the husband of another = Woman cannot be prosecuted for adultery.
Man (married) + sexual intercourse with an unmarried woman= No offence committed by man Woman (married) + sexual intercourse with an unmarried man= Woman cannot be prosecuted for any offence.
Man (unmarried) + sexual intercourse with woman (unmarried) = No sexual offence committed by man. Woman (unmarried) + sexual intercourse with unmarried man= Woman cannot be prosecuted for any offence. Rest consult me for further details

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
162 votes

No you cannot marry her without getting Divorce...
In case you marry her before Divorce
your marriage will b considered as null and void...
Even bigamy case can b filed against her...
Legal procedure will not allow you to do so
For any legal assistance you can meet me at my chamber or call me..

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles