Sister received divorce notice from her husband what should be done

Dear All, My sister has received divorce notice from her husband. Her husband has some proofs of her chat with her boyfriend. What should we do and what are our legal rights as per hindu marriage act. Thanks

Answers (5)

196 votes

You can contest this divorce matter on merit as the simple chatting between a girl and her former boyfriend does not amount to having illicit affair.
You can also apply for the maintenance during the pendency of this litigation along with the litigation expenses.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

178 votes

First of all if your sister is ready for divorce then divorce would be by mutual consent .In mutual consent divorce she would be claiming for mantainence and also custody if she wants of child (if born). Secondly she doesnot want to give divorce then she contesting it and there we ll have to prove that there is no other relationship with any other man except with his husband. In case any other help you require please consult us.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
270 votes

If you have received summons so u have to be apear before the hon'ble court. You have to fight against him. ..........he can use chat as evidence but no need to worry . kindly give us whole facts so we can help u better.

266 votes

Dear queriest,

Just having any chat with any person does not constitute any proof that your sister has committed any form of adultery. It has to be conclusive proved before the court. However, before taking any action it is critical to consult a competent lawyer and proceed accordingly.

In relation to going for a divorce, the option solely vest with your sister to live with the person she wishes to and take appropriate legal measures to do it within the framework of law.

138 votes

It depends, on the converstaion between your sister and her boy friend. Otherwise also tmyour sister can claim maintainance and alimony from her husband. The contents of the petition will decide about the fate of divorce

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles