Procedure to file for the divorce on the ground of cruelty

I am married for 9 years now & have a son of 3 years .My husband does not support me financially and he does not keep me with my mother-in -laws place. He stays with his mother for 5-6 days a week & meets me once or twice a week mainly on weekends.He hardly delegates any responsibility. He does not earn money , instead he takes money from me often. We do not have any conjugal life as he is unable to satisfy me physically too. I want a divorce from him . What are the procedures. What will happen if he is unwilling to give me divorce. Pls advice

Answers (5)

You have 100% strong ground for divorce in any court of law in our country. Hence, do not get scared or nervous on any matter whether financial or not. In accordance with law, compulsory waiting period is six months from first signing and second and final signing, in case your case falls within divorce by mutual consent and not ordinary divorce viz divorce that comes after long and heated examination-in-chief and cross-examination. Your case easily falls within divorce by mutual consent even if do not professionally engage an advocate to fight your case and appear in person in Court. I would suggest you fight your own case in person in court for divorce by mutual consent. You are guaranteed 100% success in Court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

You filing divorce is a gross wrong step, if your husband files RCR, you will be stuck for years, even if husband does not earn he has to pay maintenance for child no escape route, if he takes money from you pay by way of NEFT, you need to make a plan to pull him down, any wrong decision can lead you to years of litigation.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience

Under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the parties can seek divorce by mutual consent by filing a petition before the court. Mutual consent means that both the parties agree for peaceful separation.

Mutual Consent Divorce is a simple way of coming out of the marriage and dissolve it legally. Important requirement is the mutual consent of the husband & wife. 

Contested divorce in India is a formal way of seeking divorce from your spouse who is not agreeable to the idea of divorce. Contested divorce in India reflects a situation wherein one spouse has finally made up his/ her mind to proceed with divorce. Importantly reasons for contested divorce are not your personal choice to come out of the relationship. Reason should be one which is attributable to your spouse whose conduct, actions, omissions and failure to discharge expected reasonable behaviour that has annoyed you to the extent that you come to a conclusion that living together is not possibility.

Law provide various grounds to seek divorce from your spouse. Grounds for contested divorce, which are commonly used are:-

Divorce on the ground of cruelty.Divorce on the ground of adulteryDivorce on the ground of desertion.

Beside above, there are various other grounds such as unsoundness of mind, civil death, etc. to seek and start contested divorce in India

If you are belonging to the Hindu religion then you have to file a Matrimonial Suit before the competent LD. District & Session Judge U/S.- 13(1). Of H.M.Act. and if your husband does not contest and or written objection against you then you will get expartee divorce from the LD. Court.

If your husband agreed for divorce then file a joint petition for divorce by mutual consent. And if your husband is not agreed for divorce then file a contested divorce petition.
And file a case under section 125 of the Cr. P. C for your maintenance.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

my daughter husband absconding due to loss in diamond business since last six months. is my daughter eligible to get divorce on basis of husband absco…

Read More

I got married 7 months before. He written on bio data that he is a bcom graduate and they showed their property two shops l. After marriage I found hi…

Read More

Hii respected experts,I have married on 2016 and filed a divorce case against my wife because of her extramarital affair,I have mobile call recording …

Read More

I have got register marriage to my boyfriend in the month of june now he is troubling me and asking for divorce what step can i take to subject him to…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue