Procedure to apply for divorce from husband

We are married for 2 yrs now and our marriage life does not go well. I wanted to apply for divorce but my husband is not ready for that and not even my family. In this case what is the procedure to apply for divorce. What can be done.

Answers (4)

122 votes

You have to file an application for divorce in the court stating your grievance with your husband and state your reasons for not willing to lead the marital life. After perusal the court will send notice to your husband. For further details please contact me.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

165 votes

You can file divorce submitting the reason for seeking divorce and then notice will be given to ur husband and contest the is not necessary he had to accept for divorce. During the pendency of the case, if both agreed for divorce, within 10 days u can get divorce.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
55 votes

If you decided to part ways, then a petition for dissolution of marriage can be filed under S.13 of the hindu marriage act before the court of the competent jurisdiction. The grounds of dissolution can be various viz., cruelty, desertion, adultery, suffering from venereal disease, suffering from leprosy, renounced the world, converted to another religion, unsound mind, not heard for seven years or more. If your husband is not interested, then the matter may be contested. But, during the course of the trial, the parties try to arrive at a settlement due to displeasure incurred in the court proceedings.

In one case which i handled, the husband was reluctant to divorce, however, we are using different means through which now husband agreed to dissolve.

85 votes

You can file a divorce petition under any grounds of divorce based on your factual information.
Documents below are required for filing divorce:-
1. Proof of marriage
2. Proof of address
You can file it in your location.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles