Procedure to apply for contested divorce due to personal reasons.

Hello! Sir I am Riya from Bangalore, I get married and living with my husband for passed 7 years, because of same personal issue I want to apply for divorce sir but we had didn't registered the marriage so what the procedure of that sir?

Answers (4)

For applying divorce registration of marriage is not complusary. You can file divorce pitition under various grounds like desertion, cruelty,non consummation of marriage can apply divorce petition

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Hi.... you can apply for divorce and it is not mandatory that your marriage should be registered.If both are ready for divorce then you people go for mutual consent it saves your time and money.
Thank you

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Riya, there is no separate procedure for divorce under a registered marriage. Any divorce in India except that of muslims are to be done through Courts only. You have to file in either a family Court or a District Court.

Here at the time of filing the photo proof and the invitation card of the marriage is required. The marriage certificate is not that much mandatory. It is only required when the marriage is disputed. I hope in your case that situation is not yet arose.

You can proceed with these two document along with address proof to confirm the jurisdiction of the court.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

I am pregnant with twins. My husband fights with me over petty issues especially related to his family and abuses me and my parents every day. He says…

Read More

My husband wants to have mutual divorce, although I do not want to divorce him. If he files divorce case against me, what type of legal steps I shall …

Read More

I would like to separate from my wife as I do not feel comfortable around her anymore. There being compatibility issues. She is living with my son (7y…

Read More

I am Hindu MarathA I want divorce from my husband coz he's herrest me every day I want simply prossidure foe the divorce how can I gate he's d…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue