Procedure and time limit of divorce case

i have filled divorce case on 2015 june . . . till now the divorce procedure is going on . . . my husband filled counter petition. what is the meaning of counter petition ? how long can i wait to get my divorce. i would like two decide re marriage. i got married on 2007 . from 2008 itself we are seperated. he got 2nd marriage.

Answers (5)

280 votes

Time can not be predicted for a family case. It depends on so many factors like conduct of other side, presence of presiding officer. etc. Counter is the version put by your husband explaining reasons to oppose your petition. Try to settle the matter through lok adalat then you can file mutual consent divorce so that you could get divorce as early possible.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

274 votes

Counter is nothing but a reply message to your petition. Why it's very long you are taking for your divorce case. Your Advocate can push the court for speedy proceedings. For further support call me.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
254 votes

There is nothing called Counter Petition. It is either Counter or Petition. What is the Counter Petition that your husband filed? Did he file a Counter or did he file a separate Petition against you? What is the prayer in the said Counter Petition. Without obtaining divorce from you your husband cannot get married for the 2nd time. What is your religion? Only Muslims can marry without getting divorce from the 1st wife. If you are Hindu or Christian, then your husband is guilty of bigamy and it is a criminal offence. I need more details to give you a correct advice.

230 votes

Normally the divorce case to take 2 to 3 years. Counter means it is your husband reply to your petition for divorce. Without dissolve the marriage by the due process of law if any spouse get into the 2nd marriage is an offence. If you have a sufficient proof to show that your husband got the 2nd marriage, you may proceed the crimininal case against him. Once if you start the criminal case against him then he may come to mediation to settle the issue by filling mutual consent petition for divorce. If I need further clarification feel free to contact me.

283 votes

Divorce case their no time limit
It is up on both side lawyers view and petitioner and responded side
Counter means other side parties
Answer on the petition of plaintiff
On your side ,you make an criminal complaint against your husband for her second marriage
With out making divorced
From the court of law.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles