Place where divorce can be filed by parties living at different cities

Both parties are hindus. boy from Ernakulam, girl from trivandrum. Which city will divorce proceedings be undertake?

Answers (5)

154 votes

Please note that the divorce can be filed to the family court within the local limits:-
(1) Where the marriage was solemnized
(2) The respondent, at the time of the presentation of the petition, resides
(3) The parties to the marriage last resided together
(4) In case the wife is the petitioner, where she is residing on the date of presentation of the petition for divorce

You can file the petition in any of these places

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

62 votes

Is it a contested divorce or divorce my mutual consent? Hindu Marriage Act provides for filing the divorce proceedings at the place where the marriage was solemnized or last lived together. If it is a contested divorce, the proceeding could be instituted at the place, the respondent lives. However, the wife has the option to file the petition at the place she is currently residing.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
112 votes

You can file the petition for divorce either in Eranakulam or Trivandrum. And the petition can be filed in the district where your marriage has been solemnized. If both of you are jointly filing the petition it is better to file where marriage is solemnized.

77 votes

1.could be filed at the place where the marriage was solemnised
2.Where the other party now resides
3.The place where the parties last resided together
4.In a case Where wife is filing she could file at the place where she resides at the time of presetation of case

84 votes

The case can be filed in the jurisdiction of the court where the marriage was solemnized or where the parties lived together lastly.. both these are the criteria with regard to jurisdiction in the case of filing

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles