Legal process to file a petition for divorce in Delhi

I am living in Delhi. I got marriage at my hometown, which is in Bihar. What legal steps I have to take for divorce. It's mutual divorce.

Answers (4)

you can file a petition for dissolution of marriage on one of the grounds of divorces but before you do, you must need to consult a lawyer who can listen to your problem and then only could suggest you the best advice.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

It is not that difficult to take divorce in India. We can file a petition under section 13 of the Hindu Marriage Act. If it is by mutual consent then it will get faster but don't delay to file the divorce petition.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience

So now you file your divorces petition in delhi, In concern family court that have jurisdiction. The first motion of divorce will be done on the date of hearing and second motion of divorce will be done after 6 month from the date of first motion. After second motion divorce will be done. For preparation of divorces petition you need to consult the lawyer.

For Mutual consent divorce ,a joint petition is filed before the court wherein all the terms of settlement are mentioned. The same will come up for hearing and both the parties have to appear. The court will then give another date, which will be after 6 months, also known as the cooling of period and then pass the final decree.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

I was chased away from husband's house. Thru lawyer I asked him if he is ready for mutual. As he was very mean to me I did not want any money from…

Read More

my wife & their family has forcefully signed me the agreement of mutual divorce with an aluminiy of Rs 350000, to tortured us & already took R…

Read More

1- How many claims a wife may ask in mutual divorce? 2- After divorce can wife file any other FIR against my family? 3- In the agreement what is the m…

Read More

I got married on 19th may, 2014. me and my wife quarreled many times. I was a single and my wife was divorcee at the time of marriage. Now we want mut…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue