Legal procedure to obtain divorce for marriage not registered legally

Hi, im basically from hindu religion but to get married for Muslim boy i converted as Muslim and i changed my name to Muslim name and i got married before 2 years, but all these 2 years we are not at all happy and his customs are different we had so many problems and we are staying different places for 1 year, now i want to apply for divorce, my marriage is not registered as per government registration rules, can you please assist how can i go further to start my divorce formalities

Answers (4)

145 votes

Whether the marriage is registered or unregistered, the divorce case formalities are one and the same. You can check whether you're husband is also intending to get divorce from you and if he is then you both can file a mutual consent divorce. If not, then you can file divorce case separately against him.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

118 votes

How did you get married? Without registration, how did the marriage take place? What is the proof of the marriage? What is the proof of your conversion to Muslim? Only on knowing the answers to these questions, I can give you proper legal advise. You may contact me for further advice.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
342 votes

As per Hindu law it's not mandatory to register your marriage. So, marriage certificate is not required to obtain divorce. All you have to do is contact a lawyer and file divorce petition which is as HMOP before the appropriate court. I can you assist you any time, hope you have my number

102 votes

Yes divorce is possible. First op should be filed and other procedures have to be carried out. The Talaq notice shall be sent by jammad. The Muslim divorce are governed by Muslim act. Op should be able to meet.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles