Legal procedure to file for divorce in case of marriage in church

I married a man in church after my husband's death .only one and half year lived during this year he made lot of financial liabilities I sold my house and finished his labilities and remaining money also he took away from me he made lot if cheat with others also last one and half year he completely gone away not taken care me or kids till now I was working myself and taking I don't want to keep this relationship more so this is the case what should I do.then he has case in his name and it will affect me in any manner pls advice me.

Answers (4)

126 votes

If you just need the divorce, file a petition for divorce under ground cruelity. Then if you need the money for the maintainence and the money you had spend for him then you can file complaint under domestic violence and then claim the amount. At that time you can settle it and file a joint divorce petitio then you can get divorce in 6 months.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

132 votes

I think marriage is solemnised in the church. So for getting divorced from the church you should get the divorce from the court. So file a petition before the family court for the divorce. If you have enough evidence against him you will get the divorce.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
68 votes

You can seek divorce and maintenance from your husband for your kids , further their is full possibility of getting divorce . As you have not mentioned what type of case is your husband is having so only after knowing all the details of the case I can give an opinion abt it .

125 votes

Christians are governed by an Indian Christian Marriage Act 1889. File a petition before the family court for divorce under Section 10 A (1) of the Divorce Act under the ground cruelty. Then if you need the money for the maintenance and the money you had spend for him then you can file complaint under domestic violence and then claim the amount.
The following are the grounds of divorce mentioned under the Indian Divorce Act, 1869.
• Adultery
• Conversion to another religion
• One of the couples suffering from an unsound mind, leprosy or communicable venereal disease for at least two years before the filing of the divorce.
• Not been seen or heard alive for a period of seven or more years.
• Failure in observing the restitution of conjugal rights for at least two years.
• Inflicting cruelty and giving rise to mental anxiety that can be injurious to health and life.
• Wife can file a divorce based on the grounds of rape, sodomy and bestiality.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles