Legal procedure to file for divorce & child's custody

My sister wants to file a divorce. She has a one-year-old son as well and she wants the child custody as well.

Answers (5)

you have to file a divorce petition in ground of cruelty mutual consent or adultery
accord to a judgement of hon'ble supreme courts says if a child is under 7 year the custody of the baby is under her mother she is good care taker

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

I will need more information to be able to respond to your query specifically. is her husband willing to divorce her too? and is he willing to give the custody of their child to her? Moreover, i will need to know if she is looking for maintenance, which is her prerogative.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience

If it is contested divorce then she need to sent a legal notice to her husband through an advocate... Then file a divorce petition in family court stating the grounds for the divorce.... The child custody will come to mother becoz child is below five years and he need spl care of mother rest you can meet an advocate and discuss the matter

The divorce petition needs to be filed before the family court under whose jurisdiction your sister resides. Along with the petition you need to file an application for child custody. The petition must contain the specific grounds for divorce specifically like cruelty, harassment, or anything else. If your sister is living separate from her husband the. The petition shall also mention this and the reasons for residing separately.
The application for child custody shall inform the court that why leaving her child with the father is not good for the child.

First your sister have to approach a matrimonial expert lawyer with all relevant documents such as marriage certificate ,, photographs ,id proofs , then a petition will be filled in the court by the lawyer .

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

hi sir is it important for us both to b present in goa during our divorce ? cuz as we live in uk im olanning to come down i august to file a divorce .…

Read More

Hindu: I wish to apply divorce from my husband on issues of abuse and compatability. We have a son 20 months old. He threatens to take the child away.…

Read More

I applied for Divorce. Hence in order to counter, my Wife(Adv. with 3 year exp.) done false FIR U/s 498A, 323, 307, 506, 457, 380. She has police GD e…

Read More

Husband is impotent & keeping me in a hope problem will be after 5 years of marriage.I am raising this issue he started misbehaving wit…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue