Legal procedure to file for divorce as wife already remarried

My friend got married in 2011.they have many distrubances .his wife filed a case on him and left the house in 2013.tilln now they are living my fried came to konw tht his wife is married and also has a child. My fried want to file a divirce and to get marray ..plz give suggestions hot to face it

Answers (5)

308 votes

Yes file divorce in family court of your district for which you have to appoint an advocate who will draft your case and file the same in the court. On the other hand, his wife has committed a criminal offence by doing second marriage. It's better to initiate case against her as well.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

334 votes

Ok call me...i ll explain u in a better way..and i ll let u know the procedure.. so u wont understand if i write it down here..thats why in telephoni conversation i ll let know every thing..take care.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
288 votes

dear client dont wory
in this ground your friend can file a diverce case against her in the family court but your friend have to prove that his wife has married to anaother person it is sufficent ground to take diverce

272 votes

Dear Sir,
First of all, the wife of your friend is to be held guilty for marrying again to another man without obtaining a decree of divorce from your friend. Please note that the offense of marrying someone while already married to another person (also known as bigamy) might attract a penalty of imprisonment of up to 7 years. Nonetheless, the second marriage is null and void and has no legal sanctity as per Section 11 of the Hindu Marriage Act.

Now, as your friend desires to marry again, it is quite natural that he has to obtain a decree of divorce from his wife, lest he would be committing the same offense as his wife.

In the circumstances, your friend can choose to seek divorce on the ground of bigamy. However, the same shall be allowed on contest only, if the wife decides to resist such a divorce petition filed by your husband on the ground of bigamy. Such contested divorce proceedings generally are time-consuming as they have to go through the rigor of substantiating the respective claims made by the parties.

The other option available to the parties is filing a joint petition for grant of divorce on mutually agreed terms. In such a scenario, the proceedings are concluded within a span of 7-8 months at the maximum, provided the parties stick to their mutual arrangement of procuring the decree for divorce.

In my opinion, your friend should take the benefit of having knowledge of the wife's offense and can use it to his advantage to persuade the wife for agreeing to a mutual divorce. The wife being caught on the wrong side of the law and to avoid the hassle of courts and procedure, might also agree to the same. Such mutual divorce would entitle your friend to get married again. Later on after getting the decree of divorce, if your friend so wants, he can sue the lady for damages as shall be appropriately advised once the situation so arises.

Strike now, the iron is hot !!


306 votes

File a case for divorce in family Court
or any other court as per local
jurisdiction against your wife or file criminal complain case for second marriage before divorce or try for mutual divorce .

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles