Legal procedure to file a petition for contested divorce

My hsbnd is living in foriegn and we are separted from last 1 year and I am not in touch with my husband and I am living with my family i want one sided divorce because my husband is not ready for the divorce .he just only want the dowry from me.i want divorce from my husband.

Answers (2)

203 votes

In case your husband is not ready for the mutual divorce, then you can file a petition under any of the grounds mentioned under Section 13(1) of the Hindu Marriage Act, on the basis of cruelty and desertion.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

61 votes

You have legal right to file divorce petition on the basis of cruelty and parellel to that also seek maintenance pendenlite from your husband and it takes about two year time from getting a divorce decree from the family court

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles