Legal procedure for divorce of marriage done by Arya Samaj

Hello, I got married 5 months ago and have been living in different countries since then. I am also a Christian and he is Hindu. Is there anyway that i can get a divorce quickly? As i might not be able to wait for 1 year to file the divorce and then wait 6 more months to wait for the hearing.

Answers (3)

114 votes

Hi according to your query i need some more details but even though according to your question the answer as follows if both are ready then you can file divorce by mutual consent in the family court and that to minimum 1 year period is mandatory it will take 6 months minimum. but according to some cases the supreme has given following judgments considering in the urgency of the mutual divorce because you are traveling and living in other countries the reasons should be stated correctly for the divorce by mutual consent and it depends upon. previous supreme court stated as follows in some cases A three-judge Bench of the Supreme Court will decide whether a decree of divorce by mutual consent can be granted without waiting for the statutory period of six months as contemplated under Section 13-B (2) of the Hindu Marriage Act.
Justices D.K. Jain and C.K. Prasad referred this issue to a three-judge Bench for determination, as in several cases the court, in exercise of its extraordinary powers under Article 142 of the Constitution (to do substantial justice), had been passing a decree of divorce by mutual consent without waiting for the six-month period. On this basis, family courts and High Courts had also been granting divorce without waiting for the period.
The need for referring the issue to a three-judge Bench arose from conflicting judgments given by two different Benches. In the first instance, taking note of a number of cases where a decree of divorce by mutual consent had been granted by various courts, it was held that only the Supreme Court in exercise of its powers under Article 142 could pass orders before the expiry of the six-month period.
However, in another judgment it was held that no court had the competence either to issue a direction contrary to law or direct an authority to act in contravention of the statutory provisions. Even while exercising powers under Article 142, the Supreme Court could not ignore the statutory provisions or exercise power merely on sympathetic grounds.
The Bench of Justices Jain and Prasad said it could be gathered that both decisions did not altogether rule out the Supreme Court exercising its powers under Article 142, yet “it would be appropriate to refer the matter to a Bench of three judges in order to have a clear ruling on the issue for future guidance.”
Accordingly, the Bench referred the issue — “whether the period of six months prescribed under Section 13-B (2) could be waived or reduced by this court in exercise of its jurisdiction under Article 142.”
In the instant case, Neeti Malviya filed a petition for transfer of the divorce case filed by her husband from a court in Karnataka to a court in Madhya Pradesh. During the pendency of the matter, it was reported that the parties had arrived at a settlement to go for divorce by mutual consent and that the husband should deposit Rs. 60 lakh in her favour. However, during a hearing it was brought to the notice of the court that there were two different judgments and the question was raised whether the six-month period could be waived in this case. It was in this context the matter has been referred to the Chief Justice of India for being posted before a three-judge Bench. even though if you provide some more details then i can help you further you can contact us. for further clarifications.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

184 votes

In special circumstances you can apply for divorce. There is Supreme court Judgments in cooling period of 6 months. If both agrees for the same then it is possible. You consult a good lawyer who can help you in your locality.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
331 votes

as per latest supreme court judgment need not wait 6 months, are you going to file divorce by way of mutual or contest, if not possible to file mutual divorce petition ,it takes time . but another way to get divorce Immediately cont.Advocate

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles