Husband be present for 1st court hearing of divorce case filed by wife

Actually my wife has filed a divorce case,and court has fixed a date on 2nd April for the first hearing, so my question is do I have to b in court on that day,as I am in Mumbai for my work. And I am not getting time to go to court please advice. thank you

Answers (4)

79 votes


Yes, you have to be present in the court or if you cannot make it then your lawyer has to be present in court to request for another date. Kindly make sure that you are present in front of the magistrate on the given date.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

188 votes

Get a lawyer to file a petition on your behalf outlining your difficulty or get the said petition submitted by some near relative / family member. But you may be asked to appear on a next short date fixed by the Court, so also mention when you will be available in town.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
221 votes

If you have received the summons issued to you by the Ld. Court, you have to appear in the Court in person and file your written statement through your lawyer .. If you are unable to appear, in that event you have to file a petition through your lawyer praying for grant an adjournment for filling the WS.. Hope this suggestion will help you.. Thanks..

296 votes

Dear sir u can swear an affidavit as to why u canot appear on the day in mumbai before any Notary mentioning ur not availability and appointing legal person to tk step fixing another date for that..ur legal adviser will tk step if send mail to him or her to tk step in your case

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles