How to obtain Divorce decree and get a name change

Dear Sir, I had been divorced before 3-4 years, it was mutual consent and on stamp registered which is valid in religion (Mayavanshi samaj). My ex-husband had given in written(Stamp register) that he dont want the custody of my son and he is leaving all rights and giving custody to me and also I have not taken a single penny of alimony from him. My advocate at that time did not guided me for divorce decree or any court order. Now I am re-married in Jain samaj since a year, I want to change my surname, My child's surname- but I am unable to do. I had again filed for decree since one year, but court is not giving order as the opposite part is not turning up in court. My son (12 years old) and I had already faced many problems due to my ex-husband, now when my child is happy, all these issues. In India why we ladies does not have proper laws. please request you to guide me for same. Regards Rupali Jain

Answers (3)

80 votes

You may change your name as well as ur children’s also by due process of law and as you have mentioned that you have already filed for decree from court so your lawyer need to mentioned before the court about your facts.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

180 votes

Le me know from which city you belong to? Further, if the Family Court is not granting divorce, you will have to move to High Court for urgent Divorce Decree. I am practicing in High Court of Gujarat at Ahmedabad.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
237 votes

Hello mam
For changing ur surname u need divorce decree from proper court of law by filing divorce petition by mutual consent or ex-parte narrating all facts.
If matter already filed than request court to pass exparte order if opposite side is not turning.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I hv 2 children aged 1.5 yrs & 6 yrs in 8 yrs of marriage. I m.a freelancer writer earning 20000 monthly, depending on work flow. Husband is army …

Read More

Can a NRI guy married in India and Divorced by mutual consent in Canada remarry another girl in India? Is the Canadian Divorce recognized in the India…

Read More

my wife want divorce from me because she got records of my past chat history with my girl friend. after marriage, i chatted with my girlfriend for a w…

Read More

What is the process of filing for mutual consent divorce if wife doesn't want to stay with man and is individual entitled for any alimony for sepa…

Read More