How to cancel a marriage if it is not registered

Hi i did court with arya samaj marriage since december 2017 . I got notary kind of certificate and also arya samaj certificate but when i chevked that registration number which was written in the notaey/court certificate to a estamp website it says status of this not locked,what does it mean?we havent register our marriage yet..I need divorce from my husband as ge is harasing me..I consult with the same lawyer who was at the time of marriage kind of pandit..He said that he will provide divorce at one day and ask for a big money ,,He also said that kindly distroy that paper that i have that will not matter..No one can regonize u thay u had mriage ever...I was seriously surpised with his words..i am not sure if marriage has been done ot it was fake..If it was real marriage the kindly provide me correct procedure for divorce ..Is there any procedure of cancellation of that marriage because i only spent 6 months and mariage is not register yet..please suggest..

Answers (4)

yes the marriage was real. merely photographs of marriage can be a proof of marriage. but that lawyer is misguiding you that no one will recognize you that you are married. you should file a divorce petition in the court and should aware of these kinds of dealers who provides divorce in one day.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

The marriage Registere is only for record and evidence of marriage non registration does not effect the validity of marriage. Since you have a marriage certificate of the Arya Samaj it means you are legally married. The process of ending it is same divorce in a court of law. Normally touts and thugs claim to be lawyers as no lawyer will suggest you to tear document. Please find a proper lawyer since your marriage is less than one year you can go annulment at this stage as divorce can be applied only after completion of one year of marriage.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

It has to be seen from the certificate u got and other documents and had to be verified bcoz if there is no record then marriage has not been legal and as it is not registered, u don’t had to do anything but if there is record then even if it’s not registered it is legal in the eyes of law as law recognises customery marriage and u had to file divorce or a case to declare marriage as void as it has been performed by playing fraud on you.

There’s nothing to worry in this regard as you can for for annulment of marriage
For further details you need to contact us

There’s nothing to worry in this regard as you can for for annulment of marriage
For further details you need to contact us

There’s nothing to worry in this regard as you can for for annulment of marriage
For further details you need to contact us

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

We are muslims and got I gave her talaq in our masjid and same was agreed through an agreement made by mutal consent from both of us. Now I would like…

Read More

I have submitted the notice of marriage registry under soecial marriage act in December. Now I want to cancel the intended notice of marriage for some…

Read More

Me and my husband has filed for mutual divorce in US ,wanted to know the process to cancel our marriage registration in India .…

Read More

Please inform what are the legal complications if the Boy's side cancels the marriage after the Engagement. The marriage date has been fixed & all boo…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue