From which place can a married woman file for a divorce case

23-Apr-2023 (In Divorce Law)
I got married in March 2017.i moved to Mumbai with my husband after marriage,on the very first day I found out a women clothes in his house on asking he started abusing me and for next one month he started physicaly abusing me. In May I came to my parents home for a function and later when I asked him regarding me coming back he said I cannot come back so I went to my in-laws place where for next two month I was mentally abused...not able to take it anymore I came back to my place... Again in November I went back to Mumbai but he refused to let me in and left home for 15 days hence I came back...from tat time his parents n relative started defaming me.. I was naive as I thought I could solve the problem and they took advantage of it... I tried in Chennai with my parents and got married in bihar can I file complain from Chennai...I have been harassed from last one year my brother in law is working with judicial and he constantly warn me me that he vl use his position what should I do.
Answers (4)

Answer #1
566 votes

You have Absolute legal rights to initiate your legal proceedings in Chennai on civil as well Criminal aspects. Legal provision says where the women residing the case can be filed over there.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
730 votes
Hi madam/sir.
You didn't mention your husband native place. If you file any police complaint mean that maybe filed by place of occurrence only you can file
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
535 votes

You can file for divorce, Domestic Violence seeking alimony and for maintenance in Chennai if you have address proof in Chennai. No one can abuse their authority and if they are going to do so, its better you take preventive action. Would need more relevant information to advise you appropriately. Please get in touch with me so that I may do the needful.

Arunkungumaraj Subramanian
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #4
694 votes
With reference to your question in law Rato you can initiate a complaint at your last residing place of both or place were marriage is solemnized jurisdiction of this court located at city court hope I clarified the position
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."