Can my ex husband stop me from remarrying after divorce

My friend (who was a Muslim) converted to Hinduism and married a Hindu boy according to Hindu marriage law in 2011. After one year they wanted their mutual divorce done.but according to the Hindu marriage act only after completing 2 years a couple can apply for divorce. So their advocate showed their marriage registration date of year 2010 to the court and got their divorce done. Will it create any problem if she marry again to another man? Can her previous husband create any problem to her?

Answers (3)

181 votes

No your husband cannot do anything after you get hold of the divorce decree, you can marry after 90 days of the divorce decree passed and you are not answerable to anyone for this and you have to marry under special marriage act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

102 votes

It is illegal but It will not create any problem as the husband has not challenged the Decree passed by the court as we are in 2018. It would be better to wait till her 1st husband gets married and then she gets remarried.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
343 votes

Since both the spouses agreed and voluntarily put their signatures in the plaint of the mutual consent divorce, they affirm that whatever is stated there is true to their knowledge and belief and also the information derived are correct. Hence, the husband after the decree of divorce can not later on say that the information given in the plaint was untrue which will rather jeopardize his own stand. Hence don't worry, there is no bar in conducting a second marriage now, even if the erstwhile husband raises any issue, the same eventually won't stand. All the best. Regards

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles