Can I remarry without claiming divorce

Hi, I got married in 2010. Marriage was not registered. Got divorce decree in 2014. Can I remarry without claiming divorcee in marriage registration form. Thanks

Answers (2)

173 votes

Once you fill wrong status, as 'unmarried', in coloms of Marriage Registration form, by hiding true status 'Divorcee' it will be a offence as per Marriage Registration Act as well as under the Indian Penal Code.
Your status or any other information fills in the form is declaration under oath which must be true otherwise will be an offence.
So Be careful. Proceed with clean hands.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

141 votes

Dear Querist, Although your marriage was not registered but your divorce decree is by a Court of Law. So now when you are filling the marriage registration form and dont mention 'Divorcee' that means you are not disclosing the true and correct facts on oath, which is an offence. So, it is advisable to mention/disclose true facts and not to hide any details.

Rakesh V. Misar

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles