Can a wife claim maintenance after the divorce

Wife was working at the time of divorce granted by family court. But later got dismissed from the service by the fraud committed by her. She did not remarry Can she claim maintenance from her previous husband?

Answers (1)

Even after divorce if a woman proves that she is unable to maintain herself and she has no one else to take care of her and maintain her basic minimum needs, she can file a maintenance case under section 125 Cr.P.C. However, the divorced husband would be liable to maintain her only as long as she doesn't remarry or is in a position whereby she can maintain herself.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

from past 2 years i have beening contesting a case in the Domestic Violence, Maintainence and 498A against my husband and his family, i have a four ye…

Read More

Rs 16000/- (8k for wife& 8k for major student daughter) has been passed on marh'16. wife conceal her income. Husband could not submit reply du…

Read More

Mujhe devose ke rule janne hai and meri 2 betiya hain and mere pati ki income 30000 rup hai to mujhe khrche ko kitne milenge and property main hissa h…

Read More

If father unable to pay child maintenance or in jail in a foreign country . Etc he can withdraw from visiting rights & right over child can he esc…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue