Procedure to file a petition against mental abuse by a family member

Hi. I would like to know what steps can i take to sue somebody who has emotionally and mentally abused the people in my family, as well as spoken utter rubbish about us wherever possible. Is it better to sue? If yes then under what laws. Or is it better to get a restraining order? Also how difficult would this be if the person doing the abusing is also a family member?

Answers (4)

Dear User,

If the person is abusing basis on caste you can file a case under utrositiece act other wise you have to file case before the concern police station if he abused along with man handling the same it comes under 324 ips act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

you can file a case under defamation laws if any thing defaming the family reputation or personal reputation is damaged and if the proof is consolidated and you need to prove it before the court of law

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

You can file a suit for defamation against the person who has emotionally and mentally abuse you and people in family.
In Civil Law, defamation falls under the Law of Torts, which imposes punishment in the form of damages awarded to the claimant (person filing the claim). Under Criminal Law, Defamation is bailable, non-congnizable and compoundable offence.
Defamation as a criminal offence is listed under section 499 of the Indian Penal Code. The punishment, mentioned under section 500, can extend upto simple imprisonment for a term of two years, or with fine, or both
Restraining orders are issued in civil defamation case.

This is M.A RAHEEM KHAN Advocate, From : Hyderabad, @

First You have to file the complainant against that person in the Local Police Station then you can file the criminal before the Magistrate in case police would not take any action.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

My name is satish i have one younger brother. he was loved a girl 4years back he was started family separately The girl was bad then he was separated …

Read More

have invested some money in a company in india and the company administrator made off with my money as the company was not legit. i have also lent one…

Read More

Hello Sir, I have a case registered against me with Section 498a and 306 in year 2016. Currently, the trial is going on in the Pune Sessions Court. Th…

Read More

He is cheater he using love this make the girls to abuse he abuse many girls by name of love this will continue mean the many girls life will be spoil…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue