Laws for unmarried couple living in a rented flat

15-Jun-2024 (In Criminal Law)
What's the law for unmarried couple living in a rented flat according to Indian law, if someone calls the police and start moral policing how to confront them and the police , what laws should one quote so that he/she don't get harrased?
Answers (2)

Answer #1
891 votes
Good Morning Sir/Madam,
One must simply go to his/her local police station, file a complaint against the said persons and one does not have to quote any section or any law in the complaint.
If the police are not taking the complaint, one must consult an Advocate and file an Application u/sec 156(3) before the Ld. Magistrate Court, and the Ld. Court will direct the police to look into the matter and treat the aforesaid Application as a formal complaint.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
576 votes
There is nothing to get arrested if you both are living a happy and peaceful life. There is no law barring you from living happily and even if someone calls the police on you, you can take legal action against them for harassment and breach of peace.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."