Dowry harassment and domestic violence against Husband and in-laws

Can I file FIR against husband and in laws for dowry harassment and domestic violence if we have done court marriage.? I belong to Hindu sikh culture

Answers (3)

250 votes

Dear queriest,
1) yea you can file the domestic violene and harasment application against your in laws and your husband.
2) yours is court marriage which is legally and acceptable in court of law and makes you legal wedded wife. And if any wrong is done against you you have all the rights to get protection and justice from xourts.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

77 votes

You can file cruelty case and protection of women from domestic vjolence act case against your in laws .you can even file maintenance case against your husband.u have right fo live in share household also

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
134 votes

dear questioner,i would like to tell you that there are two measures or remedies available to you. its upto you, how you want to proceed? first is obviously to file a piece of FIR with the police authorities and second is to file a complain of domestic voilence in the courts of law. FIR u/s 406,498-A IPC would be a strigent action against them. they have to apply for bail in this matter. and of course,they would find themselves in tough situation because of a police action. however,filing a complaint under domestic voilence act would also serve the purpose but not in a strict manner but it is a steady procedure.
as far as the question of court marriage is concerned that is not a bar at all. being legally wedded wife your all the rights are protected.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles