Resignation from directors post

i was a director in a company ( pvt ltd) that I had formed with a former friend. We have since then parts ways. I had expressed my written consent to resign from the directors post and dissolve the company to my partner but he is restricting his CA to process this further. It's been more than 6 months and even my resignation request has not been processed. There were in all only two directors in the company. How do I get out of this situation

Answers (3)

52 votes

There is no requirement as per companies law for him to accept your resignation. Your resignation is complete on the date when you addressed it to the registered office of the company. In other words it does not require his approval or assent. If there is some shareholding dispute however then you can easily approach the Company Law Board who will grant you reliefs.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

72 votes

You should immediately send a legal notice in writing about the same thorugh courier and via mail. He must not be acceding to your request as he may not have another person to make director of the Company but if anything goes wrong then you may be liable for his actions and you can be eloped in criminal cases also.

Popular Corporate Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
8 years Experience
137 votes

First and foremost you must issue a legal notice to the company as a measure of abundant caution. Thereafter you may prefer a petition before the Company Law Board requiring to company to have your Form 32 filed with the Registrar of Companies. This is a very straightforward issue to be handled as several companies engage in this sort of conduct.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Corporate Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles