What happens if defendant have not appeared despite court order

Dear Sir I have a Title Suit Case in which we are the plaintiff. There are two defendents and both have not appeared in the case in spite of repeated notice. They have not even hired a lawyer. The court has ordered for notice in newspaper. Both defendants are in different states from the state of the court. Please let me know the standard process. Note:-This case was in a court of different district but was returned to us due to lack of jurisdiction. In that jurisdiction both the defendants had appeared.

Answers (3)

224 votes

Dear Client,
In the present situation, you have file the case in a proper jurisdiction. So far as non appearce of the defendant is concerned, you do the next process, if after paper publication the defendants don't turn up, you can pray for ex-party hearing.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

313 votes

Publication of notice in newspaper, as per court's order, is called substituted service. After publication of notice in two newspapers where the defendants are residing, the process of service will be completed. After this if the defendants do not appear, either personally or through advocate, the court will proceed as per the plaintiffs case and will decide the matter ex parte

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
10 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience
271 votes

The problem contains two parts,
Firstly, about the standard process: in this case finally publication in local newspaper is required,it should be published in the local newspaper where the defendant resides ,
Even if the defendant had earlier been appeared in that case of improper jurisdiction, he must be properly noticed through proper procedure is if the case initially commenced....

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Sir , A person was constantly threatning me that he will rape my sister and mother as we are hindu and was provoking me and in heat of moment i just s…

Read More

 I m unemployed and I have a debt of credit card ₹2 lakhs. So I would like to file a bankruptcy Petition. How can I take action legally?…

Read More

Can I file a case under civil law under the following situation: My neighbours have been sitting in sun on/near my porch for the last 5 years in winte…

Read More

My wife n I are .gov employees, married in Jan 2016. Now m asking her to resign her job n live a happy life with me. She is rejecting to resign becaus…

Read More