Religion - Hindu / Property : Ancestral. Need to sell the property

Religion - Hindu / Property : Ancestral. After my father demise, the property got transferred to my mother name. My mother has 3 children and the share will go to all but my elder brother who is settled in London is not signing the documents (not giving share to mother.Now the problem is that my mother is running out money as she is completely bed ridden, in this scenario she wants to sell the house even her elder son is not singing the legal property documents. can she sell the house through court permission? any other suggestion.

Answers (3)

295 votes

Hello Sir I have perused your query. If the property in question is ancestral and the father died intestate then the property is equally inherited by the mother and children. Moreover, the mother in these circumstances is entitled to sell only her share in the property. A partition suit can be filed in such a scenario to cryatalize shares of everyone in the property.

If the property is transferred to the mother after the demise of the father by virtue of a will or gift deed then she is the absolute owner of it and thus does not need to seek permission from anyone to dispose or sell it off. For further information feel free to contact me. Thank you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

157 votes

As per Indian succession act all four of you will save equal share in the ancestral property,
you can file a suit for partition of the property , in case the property could not be divided the court will order for the auction of the property and moreover your mother can claim maintenance From all three of you .

Ramit Sehrawat

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience
Advocate Ayantika Mondal
Gandhinagar, Bangalore
11 years Experience
226 votes

Query perused. Do let us know whether the property after your.fathers death was duly registered in your mother's name in the revenue records. ìf yes your mother can the property as per her wish. For further consultancy and legal services you may contact us .

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles