Magistrate ordered to demolish illegally constructed shop

Hello sir, My shop is in Rampur (U.P) & the neighbour has made illegal construction on some part of the shop. Now the District Magistrate has ordered the local police for the demolition of illegal of illegal construction but the local police wants the order from the Municipality (the shop belongs to Municipality). Sir Please guide us how we deal with the case at the current position. Any answers will be highly appreciated & helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Answers (3)

302 votes

Firstly please confirm that order of demolition is made by District Magistrate or City Magistrate and in which act. Coz City magistrate is specifically empowered to order for demolition of any building under Urban Building Act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

88 votes

As far as I can understand your query ,you are admitting that shop is illegal ,so law does not permit in any condition to protect any illegal structure regarding this court are very strict ,recently Honable Allahabad high court has ordered to demolish all illegal structures .Here police is following correct procedure because as per Uttar Pradesh municipality Act of 1916 ,municipality has got certain responsibility,with that you had mentioned that shop belongs to municipality so permission of municipality is necessary as per procedure .
You have one remedy ,if your shop was allotted by the Municipality ,then you could contest for compensation ,so a suit could be filed against the municipality .

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Peeyush Kaushik
Dwarka District Court, Delhi
11 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
25 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
20 years Experience
298 votes

As you write that shop is under municipality so you have to give application to the municipality with photo graph they will demolish it and give another application to district magistrate that is no action taken yet

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles