Procedure to appoint a legal guardianship of child

how can any body be appointed as a legal guardian of a child

Answers (3)

You have to file a case for claiming guardianship and than court will decide guardianship on the basis of welfare of child.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Normally Father and Mother are the legal guardian of the Child. If there is dispute between mother and father as to who will retain the custody of child, then they can file application in the Court and court will deicde who will be the guardian. While deciding the interest and welfare of the child will be paramount.

In the Event, parents are not alive, then the following person can apply to be come guardian : -
a) The person desirous of being, or claiming to be, the guardian of the minor; or
(b) Any relative or friend of the minor; or
(c) The Collector of the district or other local area within which the minor ordinarily resides or in which he has property;
(d) The collector having authority with respect to the class to which the minor belongs.

Feel free to ask if you have any question

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
LH House, Bangalore
13 years Experience

One has to be apply before Honourable court for appointment of the gurdian. in that petition there must be details of minor and the reason why there is need of appointment of guardian. One must file guardianship petition for that.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

I m a permanent Central Govt teacher. My husband is an Army officer from whom I wish to get divorced. We hv a 6 yr old daughter. I want her custody. W…

Read More

Dear sir, I have a child who will be born on feb 2018. I need a legal consultation regarding the child. The child"s father is a drunkard and he l…

Read More

I have been having a stained relationship with my wife, the major reason for that has been my close proximity with my family , for some strange reason…

Read More

I had not applied for visitation rights after one sided divorce. I did not have to give any alimony to my wife. I did not apply for visitation rights …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue