Legal remedy to claim custody of child by father as mother not alive

My Son was with In Laws after my Wifes death 3 years ago and they don't want to give back now. I filled a petition for custody. My In Laws now want to compromise and give back my Son with a condition that they want to object all comments/allegations through a joint decleration to withdraw the petition. How to proceed ahead. If the case is withdrawn through a memo and not through joint petition, whether the comments/allegations still remains valid.

Answers (3)

110 votes

You need to file a joint compromise petition specifying the terms for withdrawal with liberty to file afresh if necessary, just put that in your joint compromise petition. You may pray before the court to record that the allegations made by both the parties have not been proved as the case is withdrawn at the preliminary stage.

or If your in laws dont want to file any document in court and just by way of letter hand over the child. Go ahead but do it in public place where there are cameras as later on they may not file kidnapping case against you. Thereafter you file an application with put up in court to withdraw your case placing on record the letter by which they have handed over you child back.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

314 votes

Being a Father or Natural Guardian of a Minor Son, you have 100% right to take custody of a son after the death of his mother. Here no Third Person have get any custodial right in respect of said son where his father is still alive. Therefore, I think, if you contest the Case, and if they did not produce or send your son to you, then Court may issue Warrent against the in-laws and take necessary action against them. Therefore, withdrawal Petition with condition I think not necessary in this Case.

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
80 votes

I am not aware what is the age of your child? If your in-laws is willing to compromise then ask your in-laws also to file a joint compromise petition stating it is amicably settled between the parties because it may turn out that after you withdraw the case then your in-laws may refuse to give the custody of your child.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles