Within how many days of a cheque bounce can I send a legal notice?

I have received a cheque which is bounced on 5th Jan . Within how many days of bank declared bounce I have to sent legal notice. Is it within 15 days or 30 days?

Answers (3)

Once the bank has return the cheque, i.e. the cheque has bounced, you are required to send a demand notice within 30 days of such bouncing to the party who wrote the cheque (the drawer) informing him that you will initiate a legal proceedings against him under the Negotiable Instruments Act in case the amount is not paid within a stipulated time period (usually 15 days).

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

As per Section 138 of N.I. Act within 30 days after the cheque has been declared dishonoured due to insufficient balance you are required to send legal notice asking the drawer to clear off the debts and if it is not cleared within the next 15 days from the date of notice then you can file a suit according to the relevant section.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience

For dishonour of Cheque u/s 138 of N.I Act, the legal notice in the form of demand notice must be issued within 30 days from the date of dishonour of the cheque, giving the drawer of the cheque a further statutory time period of 15 days to pay back the claim amount. After completion of the 15 days statutory time period, if the claim amount is not paid by the drawer of the cheque, the cause of action arises.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

mere virudh 27-11-2012 ko chaque bounce kiya 29-12-2012 ko notice mila and 15-01-2013 ko parivad nyalay me prastut kiya gaya kya ye time bard case hai…

Read More

Sir Mera cheque 10.04.16 date ka tha jisko bank me samne bali party ne 08.07.16 ko bank me lagaya or jo mamo samne bali party ko mila bo 05.12.16 ko m…

Read More

I have been cheated by a known person. Who used to constantly remain short of funds and used to pressure me to pay money on loan which he used to prom…

Read More

Dear Sir, If there is any warrant against any indian resident working abroad against cheque bounced what are the consequences 1. Whether he will get a…

Read More