Regarding cheque issue of death person

05-Apr-2024 (In Cheque Bounce Law)
My father has taken money form another person has a proof my father has given cheque and amendment paper. Now my father has died already 1 yr completed. Now that person is asking us the money. Can he file case against my mother should we have to give him the money?
Answers (2)

Answer #1
767 votes
Dear Sir,

Yourself and your mother need not return any money to him and let him go to the Court. You will win the case on the following concept. 

'Pious obligation' means the moral liability of sons to pay off or discharge their father's non-avyavaharik debts. ... The ancient doctrine of pious obligation was governed by Smriti law. There is a pious obligation on the sons and grandsons to pay the debts contracted by the father and grandfather.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
783 votes
yes he can file recovery suit against you in tbe civil court, recovery is limited to the property inherited by you or your mother from the deceased. if proved you have to return the amount to the person from whom deceased person borrowed money

Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."