Procedure & details to file a suit for Cheque Bounce

My Wife Given 3 Lakhs Rupees to a friend of her through Bank Transfer, without any agreement and under the condition that will repay within one month.This transaction happened 2016 March and she didn't pay back for many months and after my intervention in 2017-May, she issued 4 cheques 30K+30K+40K,+1 Lakh+1Lakh (Total 3 Lakhs). In fractions and dated different dates of September-2017 and OCT-17. First, three cheques 30K,30K and 40K dishonoured in October-2017 and after many talks, she deposited 30K in my wife's account right after the bouncing of the 30K cheque. And in January-2018, 2 cheques for 1Lakhs(2Lakh Total) Bounced. I send her Legal noticed for cheque dishonour case within 15 days getting the bank memo. Which she didn't accept and returned to my advocate days back. My advocate Asking me to file Case under Negotiable instrument Act Sec-138 for cheque dishonour (For the 2Lakhs cheque -As the rest cheques bounce 3 months back). Can I also try for Summary Suit?

Answers (3)

Limitation for the filing of complaint is over. Even with delay condonation it wouldn't t work out. Ask for the fresh cheque for the remaining amount. Try if consumer court can entertain the matter, on the ground that you gave money on friendship basis and as she was in dire need of it.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Your advocate adviced you properly. Within one month of notice service you have to file case u/s 138 of NI act, which is tried summarily. You can't file case under N I act for earlier dishonoured cheque as period of one month is over for that. However you can file recovery suit in civil court.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Yes your advocate is correct file 138 first because there is time limit to file 138. Summary should be preferred only if the drawer of the cheque owns some property. 138 proceeding is much quicker in Mumbai.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

i am petitioner. the other party has not been coming from last 4-5 appearing. she has been declared further date has been given to us by co…

Read More

I had filed a cheques bounce case against a person at karkardooma court in year 2010. This month the order has been passed in favour of the accused. T…

Read More

A handicapped lady no job but borrowed a hand loan 6 lakhs 3 % interest in periods with security of signed but undated & unamounted 2 cheques but …

Read More

I have taken RS 1,10,000 in march 2015 from my friend for which i have promised with in 2 months. I have to get my bill payments but dut to some probl…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue