In Cheque Bounce Case -Can we pray in the petition

I will be filing a cheque bounce case soon under 138 NI Act after issuance of statutory notice for payment within 15 days. During filing of petition can I claim Interim Relief from the courts as per the cabinet proposal. Cabinet proposes to provide Interim Relief to the complainant in the form of 20% of cheque amount. Though it is still a proposal and has not yet become a law I want to know if I can still pray it in the petition.

Answers (4)

Proposal is not Law. Law should be pass through Cabinat and implement after amemdment of the present Act. Till then, previous act should be followed. Therefore, at present after completion of Trial the Ld. Court will pass judgment upon the amount of Cheque.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear client,
As per the details provided by you I would like to suggest you that no such provisions of interim relief is provided in the Negotiable instrument Act as of now and as such you cannot claim such releifs now.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
LH House, Bangalore
13 years Experience
Advocate Prashant Mendiratta
Lajpat Nagar 4, Delhi
26 years Experience

As you pointed out correctly that it was a proposal and not become a law most likely you won't get an interim relief. You can still pray it when the serivece return is done. You have to file another petition containing the cause of interim relief .

No as of now you cannot pray for such a thing,because the amendment is not a law as of now.but you can pray for other relief such as litigation cost and other costs.any law is not a law unless it is passed in parliament and assented by the president..

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

Can we file cheque bounce case under 138 of NI Act and similary civil suit for recover of money…

Read More

A complaint has been filed in a court under the belief that it is the proper court having the jurisdiction. Now it turns out that the complainant pres…

Read More

Actually one person from Bangalore must give us 4,00,000 rupees he given cheque and it is bounced in kurnool we are also from kurnool and where we nee…

Read More


Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue