Clarification regarding filing of Cheque Bounce case

Within how many days can someone file a case of cheque bounce and what is the procedure according to the law.

Answers (2)

You should submit the cheque within the validity period of 3 months of the date on it. The cause of action for filing complaint will lie from the date the cheque gets dishonored by the bank. Thereafter you send a legal notice to the drawer within 30 days from the date of receiving "Cheque Return Memo" from the bank. The notice should mention that the cheque amount has to be paid within 15 days from the date of receipt of the notice by the drawer. If the drawer fails to make a payment within 15 days of receiving the notice, then you proceed to file a complaint in the court of the jurisdictional Magistrate within one month from the date of expiry of 15 days prescribed in the notice.

Care should be taken to draft the legal notice, least it becomes a defective notice and the whole criminal proceedings gets dismissed.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

A legal notice along with the return memo no as a reference is to send to the defaulter within 30 days from the date of bouncing. If no reply is received after of 15 days of the delivery of the demand notice, the payee can file the legal complaint within a month.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

15 Minutes Cheque Bounce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 104 ratings
Legal advice and answers from a local experienced advocate about your Cheque Bounce issue
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice

4.7 | 83 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Send a legal notice through an experienced advocate
Similar questions

I have taken hand loan Rs 2L from my friend and i have given my signed cheque leaf for assurance.I couldn't arrange money to friend to given chequ…

Read More

I had a case filled against me charges IPC 420 for cheque bounce. I settled the case by paying the amount and settled/compounded. The fir was filed on…

Read More

Cheque issued by person but only signed .date and amount is not mentioned and no other proof of the given money. then what to do.can I file the case o…

Read More

Hi i have taken loan in cash from a individual on cheque, the amount is 500000. He took my blank cheques as well as my wifes too. Now he is keep askin…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue