cheque stope payment by builder

04-Apr-2024 (In Cheque Bounce Law)
I sold a property to a builder and received a cheque from them during registration. Unfortunately, the cheque bounced because the builder stopped payment on it. Despite sending a recovery notice within 15 days, the builder did not acknowledge it. During this period, I misplaced the original bounced cheque and the bank's bounce memo. Can I still pursue a legal case under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act against the builder for the bounced cheque?
Answers (2)

Answer #1
898 votes
If you have the Photograph of the Original Bounced Cheque and the Bank's Bounce Memo and If you have the evidence of acknowledgement receipt of the Cheque deposited for encashment, not its photograph, then, you can still file a Cheque Bouncing Case.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
730 votes
No, you cannot file a case without the original bounced cheque and the original return memo. However, you can still revoke/cancel the sale agreement on account of not receiving money from the builder.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."