Can police arrest without arrest warrant against FIR

Can police arrest without arrest warrant against FIR under section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act, when court case is not filed.

Answers (1)

277 votes

No the police can not arrest. As per section 138 of the Negotiable Act a notice regarding dishonour of cheque to the person who issued the cheque is required. Further a time of 15 days is required to be given to the person who has issued the cheque for honour of the cheque.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I have given some money to a person and for the security purpose he has given me a cheque. But now he is not giving me the money and also the cheques …

Read More

Can I also file a 420 complaint against someone whose cheque has bounced and I have filed a 138 NI case against him already? It will put more pressure…

Read More

Builder issued me a check of refund amounting to Rs.5 Lakhs which was bounced. Sp I served him the notice within a month as per the section 138. He di…

Read More

i issued a cheque of Rs. 250,000/- to mr. XYZ and the said cheque was bounced and XYZ made two case U/s 138 and U/s 420. now the 138 case is under evi…

Read More