One of the best Advocates & Lawyers in Trivandrum - Advocate S Sreekumar

Advocate S Sreekumar

LawRato Verified
LawRatoLawRatoLawRatoLawRato 3.9 | 5+ user ratings
LawRatoAthani Lane Vanchiyoor, Trivandrum
LawRato41 years Experience
Practice Areas
Anticipatory Bail, Cheque Bounce, Court Marriage, Criminal, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Family, Labour & Service, Recovery
Language(s) Spoken: English
When Advocate S.Sreekumar Joined the profession in 1983, he was having a passion to serve the society as a champion of justice. The best training he got from Adv. Jayanthan Nair, the famous criminal Law practioner in Kerala; the valuable guidance of Adv. V.Bhaskara Pillai who was the leader of Civil Cases in Trivandrum and the love, support and training by Smt. Pathirappally S.Krishnakumari made him a hard working motivated Lawyer.

The study for LLM at Cochin University and his experience as the Secretary to Legal Aid Clinic, therein enhanced his confidence in the profession.

Thus in the year 1989, Adv. S. Sreekumar started a Law Firm under the name and style ‘SREEKUMAR ASSOCIATES’ with his wife Adv.Gayathri Sreekumar and a handful of juniors and other office staffs.

More than 30 years ago, when Dr. S. Sreekumar set out to start a career in advocacy at the District and Subordinate Courts in Thiruvananthapuram, he was just a young lad, hailing from a far-away small hamlet, with a heart full of a passionate dream. His father having served as a commissioned officer with the Indian Army and mother a teacher, young Sreekumar had a childhood of disciplined upbringing with a meticulous approach towards academics.

Initial spark of his tryst with destiny was induced by his maternal uncle, who was a very successful lawyer then. Sreekumar, during his days at primary school, was so much influenced by the covetable identity his uncle possessed, that when the class teacher enquired with the students of the class, as to what their ambition was, young Sreekumar was quick to put his hand up to say he wished to be a lawyer.

That passion of a nine year old boy, nursed with meticulous approach, helped him eventually reach the goal of becoming a lawyer, not by chance, but by choice.

Later on, he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Science, before pursuing his Bachelor’s degree in Law, from the University Law College, Dhawad. An active face in student politics, Sreekumar subsequently did a Master’s degree in Law from Cochin University with specialization in Labour Laws and Commercial Laws. After more than 15 years of practice, Adv Dr. S. Sreekumar procured a doctorate (Ph. D. Law) in Family Laws stressing on Family Separations, Family Relations, Estrangements and Matrimonial Problems and way to solve the problems

He also holds a Post Graduate Diploma in Sociology and this academic pursuit instilled in him an inclination towards understanding inter-personal behaviours and sociological aspects. For nearly a decade now, Dr. Sreekumar has procured a niche position in the domain of Alternate Dispute Resolution, as a Mediator appointed and accredited by the Honourable Supreme Court of India. This has widened his portfolio of expertise in the domain of discussion, counselling and mediation, not to mention, his effective litigation skills.

Sreekumar was the standing counsel for leading institutions in the financial sector like Dhanalekshmi Bank, LIC, Oriental Insurance Co. Ltd., New India Assurance Co. Ltd., National Insurance Co. Ltd. and Maharashtra Bank. He also represented the ESI Corporation and Employees Provident Fund Office, as a standing counsel.

He is the legal advisor to leading banks, including big names like Federal bank, Vijaya Bank and Punjab and Sind Bank, as well.

Along with his quest for professional excellence in advocacy, Dr. S. Sreekumar has also proven his credentials in the academic arena. He was a Guest Lecturer at prestigious institutions like Kerala Law Academy Law College, Centre for Advanced Legal Studies, Government Arts College, Government Evening College and Institute of Hotel Management, in Thiruvananthapuram.

Dr. S. Sreekumar is currently the Honorary Academic Director to Dr. Ambedkar Global Law Institute, Thiruppathi, which is one of the leading institutions in India providing Legal education. His commitment and undying drive for learning and development has also reflected in his Articles in leading law publications like Indian Bar Review, Cochin University Law Review and Law Academy Law review.

Apart from his credentials in the field of law, Dr. S. Sreekumar, who believes in living a ‘life sans stress’, is a passionate agriculturist. His interests and ideas of the need of self-sufficiency, was extensively covered by the print and visual media in Kerala.
  • District Court, Thiruvananthapuram

Recently Contacted Lawyers in Trivandrum

Popular Reviews

Dr Vishnu - Verified Client LawRato LawRato LawRato LawRato
It was good meeting, the lawyer clarified and resolved my issues patiently.
Over 3 months ago

Questions Answered by Advocate S Sreekumar

Q: Filing divorce petition by mutual consent when physically not present

My son who is working abroad is going for a divorce in India. Due to some reason, he cannot be in India right now. We are Hindus. Is it possible to file divorce petition by mutual consent without him being physically present here?

Advocate S Sreekumar answered
Usually both the parties must be present to file mutual divorce. It is possible to file a joint petition even if one of the party is not available in person to file the suit in court. However the necessarry petition has to be signed and attested before the embassy where the said party resides. The case will be posted after six months, both the party has to come to the court for counseling and also for giving deposition after the expiry of six months.

Q: Mother gave ancestral property to son without consent of other heirs

My mother gave her ancestral property to my brother without anyones consent. We are and 3 sisters. He registered the property in his name.. When we came to know about this later. He gave us our share as gift deed. Now can i sell my share of property without anyones signature.? Can i sell it if its a gift deed.? As my mother dont want me to sell that property.

Advocate S Sreekumar answered
A gift, once it is completed is irrevocable but to constitute a valid gift there must be delivery of possession that means, you must have already effected mutation in your name. If you are paying tax and having custody of the land gifted to you, nobody can prevent you from disposing of the property to a person of your choice.

Q: Consequences of being in a relationship after filing divorce.

Hi I would like to know whether there's any law preventing a lady who has already applied for divorce being in a relationship with another guy. Because my Friend who has applied for divorce was seen with another man and the Husband has got a video of my Friend and her new Boyfriend talking or walking together maybe holding hands. And the Husband is now blackmailing my Friend saying he wants 10 to 15 lakhs of rupees as compensation. The main point is that the video was taken after filing the divorce. So should she be worried. Expecting a reply soon. Thank you

Advocate S Sreekumar answered
A video of a lady with her boyfriend talking or walking together or even holding hands cannot be taken as adultery. There is no need to worry of such video. Only if the lady is having physical relationship or legal marriage with another person, it is against the law. Filing of a divorce doesn't allow the person to have another relationship or marriage, she can only do that after obtaining final order from the court. There is no law which says that she cannot have a boy friend or a friend. RegardsSREEKUMAR ASSOCIATES

Q: What action can my wife take if i go for 2nd marriage under muslim law

Hi... I would like to know is it possible for me as a Muslim to go for a 2nd marriage as my wife is living separately with her parents for more than 1 and a half years.We don't have any kind of sexual relationship for the last 3 years.She is not interested in having any kind of relationship with me.She is asking for a huge amount of money(or 60% of my ancestral property ) to sign the mutual divorce agreement ,otherwise she said like she will not ready to sign it.I don't have any property in my name.I am unemployed now and she is working as a manager and earns70000 INR per month. We had a 7 year daughter and she is staying with me.I am ready to take care of my daughter my whole life.First her demand was she need the money and property on her name and when she finds out its not going to happen as i don't have job now and no property in my name. Now she is using my daughter as a commodity for the negotiation now.She threatens to spoil my life.She is from a upper middle class family.

Advocate S Sreekumar answered
Divorce is not a charity of anybody. If there are ground one can claim divorce. Even now there is no ban of pronouncing thalak by a muslim husband if there are sufficient grounds and if proper procedure are followed. In your case your wife's permission is both required and her claim of 60%of your property will not stand in the eye of law. You can even claim maintenance for your child from your wife since she is employed. For Muslims there is no provisions for mutual divorce. You may contact a lawyer and take steps without delay

Q: Legal action when one does not wants to pay full tuition amount

I recently joined a coaching institute 2 months ago who promised to train doctors for an entrance exam for the UK. The course fee was 3 lakh rupees. I joined the course. On the first day itself, the doctor running the institute asked me to give cheques worth 3 lakh rupees even before attending a single class. After attending the classes I found that he hardly has the knowledge to teach and keeps repeating the same things again and again. I had told him to take 1 lakh and that amount has been transferred to him on the first day itself. I now want to leave the course after attending for a month, and don't want to pay the rest of the amount as he is incapable of teaching and has limited knowledge. However, when I told him he said that I have to pay the entire amount or else he will put a case against me. He now has 2 cheques of 1 lakh each with him. is there any way out of this?

Advocate S Sreekumar answered
From your question it is not clear about the duration of the course. You are advised to contact a lawyer and give as notice to the person concerned starting the fact that you don't want to continue the course immediately. You can also give stop memo regarding the payment of cheques. This is a case in which you have to seek professional help at the earliest.

Frequently Asked Questions about Advocate S Sreekumar

Can Advocate S Sreekumar represent me in court?

Yes, Advocate S Sreekumar can represent you in court. The lawyer is trained to present your case in the most effective way possible.

What should I bring to my initial consultation with Advocate S Sreekumar?

When you meet with Advocate S Sreekumar for an initial consultation, it is important to bring any relevant documents or information with you. This may include documents related to your legal issue, such as contracts or court orders, as well as any other relevant information, such as a list of questions or concerns you have about your case.

How do I prepare for my initial consultation with Advocate S Sreekumar?

Before your initial consultation with Advocate S Sreekumar, it can be helpful to think about the specific legal issue you are facing and any questions or concerns you have about your case. You should also gather any relevant documents or information that you think may be helpful in understanding your situation.

What should I expect during my initial consultation with Advocate S Sreekumar?

During your initial consultation with Advocate S Sreekumar, you can expect to discuss the specific legal issue you are facing and the details of your situation. Lawyer will ask you questions to get a better understanding of your case and will provide you with information about your legal options and any potential outcomes.

How do I communicate with Advocate S Sreekumar?

It is important to communicate with Advocate S Sreekumar regularly to stay updated on the progress of your case and to discuss any new developments or concerns you may have. You can communicate with the lawyer through phone calls, emails, or in-person meetings.

How much does it cost to hire Advocate S Sreekumar?

The cost of hiring Advocate S Sreekumar can vary widely. Some lawyers charge hourly rates, while others charge a flat fee for their services. Some also offer free initial consultations to discuss your case. Kindly contact the lawyer directly to enquire about the fee.