quesCan i add another floor in the house which is in mother in laws name?

I’ve been into a property dispute for the last 11 years. I lost my husband 12 years back and immediately after his demise, my mother in law shifted to her daughter’s house. She has 2 daughters and 2 properties to herself. We also had to shift to the top floor of the same house as the house is in her name.


Would like to know from you if I can construct another floor on the terrace?


  • ans


    As the property stands in the name of your mother in law, you have to prove that you have spent some money in the construction of the same whereby you can claim interest in the property in question. This is your matrimonial home and you cannot be thrown out without due process of law.


    In law if you can prove that you and your husband had spent some money on the construction and it can be proved that it is a matrimonial asset then you can assert some right.


    You are currently having the possession of the property and unless someone proves a superior title, you cannot be threatened for leaving the house.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

The family property of father of 4 daughters is taken by fathers brother. EC is…
My parents have self acquired property in the name of my mother. They have isolated…
i am a married man. living with my parents and wife. recently we had been…
I booked a floor in Gurgaon with Emaar MGF in 2009. Most of my instalments…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly