Can i add another floor in the house which is in mother in laws name?

I’ve been into a property dispute for the last 11 years. I lost my husband 12 years back and immediately after his demise, my mother in law shifted to her daughter’s house. She has 2 daughters and 2 properties to herself. We also had to shift to the top floor of the same house as the house is in her name.

Would like to know from you if I can construct another floor on the terrace?

As the property stands in the name of your mother in law, you have to prove that you have spent some money in the construction of the same whereby you can claim interest in the property in question. This is your matrimonial home and you cannot be thrown out without due process of law.

In law if you can prove that you and your husband had spent some money on the construction and it can be proved that it is a matrimonial asset then you can assert some right.

You are currently having the possession of the property and unless someone proves a superior title, you cannot be threatened for leaving the house.

Advocate Nikhil Singh
Singh & Associates, Hubli