Can wife come in a rent agreement as the property is in my name?
I own a single story house. On mutual agreement with my wife, she has constructed the upper floor out of her own resources and wants to let out the same.
Kindly clarify :- 1. whose will be the Tax liability on the rent received for the upper floor. 2. Who can make the rent agreement with tenants ? 3. Can my wife make rent agreement though legally property is on my name, and if not what formality is to be completed to empower my wife to make rent agreement and to receive the rent?
As mentioned by you, in case the floor has been constructed by your wife on mutual agreement with you, you may execute a GPA in her name stating that you allow her to construct and manage the upper floor for all expenses and income from the same.
Once the GPA is executed, she can enter into the rental agreement with the tenants despite you being the legal owner of the property.
Tax liability for the rent received for the upper floor will fall upon the person who receives the rent and enters into the rental agreement with the tenants.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Husband not taking financial responsibility of wife and children
- Non refundable investment by builder on project
- builder delayed possession of flat- wants compensation
- What is the procedure for filing for divorce
- Visa processing delayed due to delay by bank what can be done