transfer by gift deed
Elder brother is owner of a flat in a co-op.society in Kolkata (under W.B.Co-operative housing societies acts, Rules) . Elder brother wants to gift his flat to his younger brother( who is a nominee), by registered "GIFT DEED" . Please let us know whether and under which procedure/law, if any, the same can be done or not. N.B.- The society gave a rejection letter to elder brother stating-"section 76 of w.b. co-op. societies act 2006 provides that the share or interest of a member will be disposed of in favour of nominee on his death. As you are alive, neither you nor your nominee can claim for transfer of membership of the society by any kind whatsoever as it contradicts the provision of said act.".
A gift of immovable property amounts to its transfer under the Transfer of Property Act. Hence, through the gift deed the elder brother can gift the property to his younger brother by registered gift deed. The society can not reject your brother's claim of gifting the property to his younger brother through gift deed. Society's action contradicts the provision of transfer of property act.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- What is the procedure to file partition suit
- Property sold to two different person what are the right of 1st buyer
- Procedure to change name of minor boy
- Recovery agents sent home to collect balance emi what to do now.
- Is it mandatory to cancel exams if there is declaration on paper leak