questransfer by gift deed

Elder brother is owner of a flat in a co-op.society in Kolkata (under W.B.Co-operative housing societies acts, Rules) . Elder brother wants to gift his flat to his younger brother( who is a nominee), by registered "GIFT DEED" . Please let us know whether and under which procedure/law, if any, the same can be done or not. N.B.- The society gave a rejection letter to elder brother stating-"section 76 of w.b. co-op. societies act 2006 provides that the share or interest of a member will be disposed of in favour of nominee on his death. As you are alive, neither you nor your nominee can claim for transfer of membership of the society by any kind whatsoever as it contradicts the provision of said act.".

  • ansA gift of immovable property amounts to its transfer under the Transfer of Property Act. Hence, through the gift deed the elder brother can gift the property to his younger brother by registered gift deed. The society can not reject your brother's claim of gifting the property to his younger brother through gift deed. Society's action contradicts the provision of transfer of property act.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Documentation lawyers in India

Similar questions

My name is stated as Madhav kumar patel in my dob certificate 10th and 12th,…

Son works abroad he have shop here in mumbai rented out .next month as to…

last year Under Construction property was purchased, where my father was Primary Applicant and Me…

i discontinued my Engineering due to fail in exams so i wanted to Get marks…

Documentation Lawyers in India

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Anuj Aggarwal

  Model Town, Phase 3
 Experience: 13 years

Advocate Richa Relhan

  Commonwealth Games Village
 Experience: 5 years

Advocate Atit Jain

 Experience: 7 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly
View in App
Get Upto 40% Off