Legal rights of a second wife wedded legally.
My dad had expired recently. My mother was his second wife. He married my mom after almost 5yrs the death of his first wife.My father kept my mom as nominee in all his official benefits including GPF, GL etc. But still agreed to give 1/3 part to dad's first wife's daughter who's married with two children (boys). Now the girl and her husband are harassing us and sent a letter to officials and MRO saying that my step mother and step sister are depriving me from taking those amounts, so add me as family member and give me those amounts. We are shocked by this letter. We want justice legally sir, we don't want any illegal amounts. We are in a bad financial situation and totally dependent on my dad. Please help us what benefits we will get legally.
The children of your father in both marriages have equal rights as heirs. This would mean the daughter from the first marriage and the children from the second marriage have one share each with the second wife If your father died intestate, that is without a will the property will have to be divided in equal shares among all heirs. Did you recieve a notice from your step sister? You will need to appoint a lawyer to appropriately reply to the notice if any and possibly try for an out of court settlement.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Previous company not giving NOC certificate.
- About Incorporation as a private limited or as trader under shop act
- How can I get my jewellery back from inlaws if case is still pending
- Procedure for Correction/change in name for Addhar card
- Fraud done by a play school.